Friday, June 22, 2012

The Smartest Mouse I Ever Knew

WARNING...If you can handle gross stuff, continue reading if you would like.  If you can't handle gross stuff, don't read.  We have had a mouse in our house for a while and it has been the biggest pain trying to catch him.  I was an idiot and left our bag of dog food in the furnace room.  I'm sure that is what attracted it.  At the beginning of the week, I set out the regular wooden spring traps and placed peanut butter on them.  Well, the next morning the mouse had taken the peanut butter off without setting the trap.  So I decided to cram some cheese up in the slot.  Sure enough, the next morning that mouse had got the cheese out of the traps without setting them.  So I decided to try something a little different.  I made some chewy oatmeal fudge bars.  This delicious treat is gooey and sticky.  So I crammed this stuff up in the slots on the traps and I even tested the traps to make sure they were working properly and they were.  I thought for sure I would catch that mouse. Well, the next morning, it was the same thing as before.  That sneaky mouse got the crammed up chewy oatmeal fudge bars out of the slots without setting the traps! Amazing!  I thought, this mouse is such a smart mouse.  I thought for sure I would have caught it by then.

I went to the grocery store and checked out their mouse traps.  My dad told me that the glue tables were a good trap, so I bought them.  That night I placed the glue trap on the ground and did everything the instructions told me to do.  The instructions said that the glue tables are pre-baited, but I can put extra bait on if I wanted to.  I decided to do that.  Well, the next morning, nothing.  I still wasn't going to give up though.  So last night, I set up all the original traps, this time cramming peanut butter up in the slots.  This peanut butter had peanuts in it, so I made sure I got big enough peanuts that would be difficult to get out.  Then I figured out where I thought this mouse was coming out of the wall.  I placed the glue table where it was coming out.  I shut off the lights, closed the door and went to bed, feeling that for sure I would get him tonight.  So this morning, I woke up and went downstairs to check out my room of traps.  Sure enough, my plan worked.  There was that little mouse stuck on the glue table.  


I could tell by the way it was situated on the table that it had quite the struggle last night trying to get free.  Poor thing, but I worry for my kids health more than the idea of having to kill it.  I wish it would have set the regular spring traps, because then I wouldn't have to kill it.  I was standing there staring at this mouse with some kind of sadness knowing that I would have to kill this thing by myself.  I couldn't leave it there and wait for my husband to get home to do the dirty job, because what if by some chance it got off.  And knowing this mouse, I'm sure it could have figured it out.

So I went upstairs, put a show on for my kids and went out into the garage to find my weapon.  I thought a shovel would work out, but unfortunately we didn't have on, but we have a metal rake.  It was the best thing I could think of.  I wanted to be as far away from it as possible when I killed it.  I went back downstairs and just stared at the mouse for like 10 minutes because the idea of killing it myself made my stomache churn.  And of course the mouse looked frightened and it wiggled like crazy trying to get off the glue trap, so that didn't help my uneasiness.  Finally, I decided it would be best to hurry and end both of our suffering.  I used the back end of the rake and bashed it on the head.  It died after that.  Goodbye little mouse.  Hopefully we don't have any more in our house.  











4 comments:

  1. Killing is a nasty business. We kept having mice and rats sneak in our garage and eat our squash. We had one that got in the house and started eating parts of my piano. SO not ok. And that was after I came into the kitchen where my baby was sitting on the floor watching a mouse run in front of him. SOOOOO not ok. I think we ended up killing that mouse (I think a trap got it). Then we had a rat in the garage that ate the poison we put out for it. It just sat in one spot for a long time and finally died. I felt sorry for the poor thing, but I can't have them living in my house around my babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch. I could have given you a really helpful tip if I had known. When we lived at that missionary couple's house up by the U, they had already been gone for like a year and a half so their basement had attracted dozens of mice. It smelled nasty and they had really overtaken the basement. We killed 16 mice before we left and I know we didn't get them all. Anyway, we ended up using those same sticky traps. And after we would get them, we would fill a bucket full of water, and put them in it. I know drowning is not the best way to go, but at least we didn't have to do any of this nasty "head bashing." We could stick them in the bucket and walk away. Then come back later after the deed was done. Sorry you had to go through that. It makes me sad to have to kill the little guys but like you said, you've got to do what's best for your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ash! That would have been a hard task in deed! I hope i never get mice but if i do, i know what to do now. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! You are a brave woman. As a kid, I remember having mice in our house when my parents were building on the addition. They were in the wall behind the piano and would scratch the walls while I would practice. I caught one once in our basement and just picked it up and carried it outsid and threw it in a field. I am such wuss now a days. There is no way I could touch a mouse, or even carry it on a sticky tray or even kill it. You are like wonder woman!

    ReplyDelete