Friday, June 1, 2012

My Life Is Over


Yeah, you see Carson's bed.  It is now a toddler bed because he kept climbing out of his crib and I was worried that he was going to get hurt.  Last night was when this all happened.  I couldn't get him to go to sleep. He would continually climb out and open his door.  And boy, did he think he was super cool.  He had a smile on his face the entire time he kept climbing out of his crib.

I normally put him to bed at 8:00.  Finally at 9:00, I decided that I would put his bed into a toddler bed.  I thought that I might as well, since he can climb out of his crib.  This way it will be safer.  Finally at 10:00, Carson fell asleep.  Now you know why my life is over.  I guess we will see if he even goes down for a nap today.  If any of you have any suggestions, on how to get this kid to sleep, let me know.  Anything will help.  Kelli just stopped taking naps about the time she could start climbing out of her crib, so it worked out ok.  Carson on the other hand, needs naps and I need him to take naps or I go crazy.

6 comments:

  1. This happened to my sis-in-law. She had to get one of those baby proof door knob things so he could not open the door anymore. He would just lay in front of the door and fall asleep with his little fingers poking out the bottom. Sad, but cute! Good luck! Naps are too precious to let go of without a fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Empathy here. Spencer was the exact way! Except he would come to the door until about midnight. It was exhausting. We tried all sorts of things:

    Staying in the bedroom until he fell asleep(this worked but took about an hour and a half! Sometimes I fell asleep.) Also, he would wake up in the night and come and get me. Then the process had to be started again. Lets just say 2am and taking your kid back to bed a million times is not fun.

    We also would hold the door shut. That was awful. He would come to the door and hit it and scream and cry. It felt like torture. We stopped that.

    Finally, we gave him sponges. He has three sponges. Each time he comes to the door, he has to give us a sponge. When there are no more sponges then we lock his door. We explain it every time. We turned the doorknob around. For the first two weeks it was awful. The door sounded like it was going to break, the house shook, we were sad. After that though, he got used to it and it was a routine. I hope Carson is more easy going than Spencer. Bed times can be rough.

    I don't know if this helps at all. You are not alone. We were going crazy. Our pediatrician suggested the 3 tokens idea. It worked for Spencer, but it was not easy putting up with the crying and screaming. Hope you are well. We miss you, Chris and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We put a child lock on our kid's door. We also instituted "quiet time" so whether they nap or not, they're in their room and quiet for an hour or so so mommy can regain sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with them... you've gotta have your time. Do the things that go over the door handle work? I can't believe he can already open doors! I require that E stays in there for 1.5 hours so that I can get my re-coup time in. 99% of the time she falls asleep. We got rid of her crib about a month ago and she slept at the door for a couple of weeks, but seems to be getting the hang of it now. We keep saying, "Sleep on new bed" and she has started saying it and will go there now. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! Good luck! When you figure it out, will you let me know? I know that Ryker will be the exact same way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with them. We put a childproof thing over the doorknob so she can't get out. At first it was a fit and she would fall asleep by the door. But she soon realized that screaming was getting her nowhere and now she naps in her bed. Even on the random days that she doesn't fall asleep though, i make her stay in there for at least an hour and she just plays. I hope you can figure out what works for you and him because nap time is our saving grace as mothers:-) good luck!

    ReplyDelete